Google+

martedì 8 novembre 2016

Is the US Election really Brexit 2.0? Similarities and differences.

The US Election will be a rerun of the Brexit vote. That"s a popular meme.


Consider the major points made by its proponents:

  • Clinton & Remain are/were the establishment approach to policy

  • Trump & Leave the outsiders, appeals to economic insecurity, xenophobia and distrust of the elites

  • Demographics are similar too: urban vs non-urban voters, college degree vs non-college degree

  • Polls are similar: pre Brexit vote polls had Remain narrowly in front, Clinton in front now

  • Betting markets favoured Remain, and favour Clinton now

All good points indeed.



But, differences?

  • Trump"s disparaging remarks on women,war veterans (even dead war heroes), the disabled (what have I missed?). I don"t think Nigel Farage expressed similar opinions, and thus avoided alienating people in this way.

  • "Finger on the nukes button" was not a factor in the Brexit vote, but it seems to be an issue for Trump

  • The Brexit vote was a single issue referendum, not a general election

I"m sure there are plenty of similarities and differences (eg. FBI investigation of Clinton) I"ve missed, over to ForexLive







Is the US Election really Brexit 2.0? Similarities and differences.
Is the US Election really Brexit 2.0? Similarities and differences.
http://www.forexlive.com/feed/news
$inline_image

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento